Variance in startup times?

I'm running 2.4.2 (I think :-) and I've noticed for the last couple of releases at
least, there are unexplained variances in startup time. In particular, sometimes it
breezes through all the plugin checks so fast they can't be read on the splash screen.
Other times (with absolutely no change to anything), it checks them all very slowly in
reverse alpha order. This is not caching, either as I've seen in (not) happen after a
reboot, etc. I've also seen it (not) happen on two other systems.

Any ideas?

It's a binary I downloaded, not something I built, BTW.

--
Len Philpot - l e n @ p h i l p o t . o r g  (no spaces)
><>  http://philpot.org/ - http://www.pbase.com/lphilpot
     Read my story: http://www.mostimportantthing.org