Re: What is GimpVS

just a side note, i can confirm that "Normal" gimp may run from usb
pendrive

The only required "trick" is not install directly there but just copy
the folder from program files,the only limit seems that to start gimp
is needed open the bin folder to click on gimp exe
(link to the exe , out of gimp folder ,doesn't work well...).

Only to run very few extra plugin (as mathmap that require to be
installed in the user and not in the main gimp folder) a bit more
fiddling is needed, but may be done ( see
http://www.flickr.com/groups/gimpusers/discuss/72157603337340610/)

On the other hand Gimpvs on USB pendrive has a limit, if i understund
well it doesn't support extra plugins (if not ported )

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------G---------------

PS Seems that gimp 2.4 require a clean install (or most of preference
paths are screw-up...all the path leading to the script, plugin,
brush,and gradient folder in Program Files/gimp/...may result missing.

that happen not only when installing on a USB drive but also when
installing in the main HD, if somewhere  there is another instance of
gimp, or even leftover of a unistalled gimp, most of paths will be
screwed up

Obvious result missed menu, missed filter and missed script fu

That the reason why copy the gimp folder from main disk to the usb
drive work better then install directly there.

But is not a problem related to usb pen drive, but a more general
issue of the windows installer

NOTE: the old preference are NOT used but misused,all paths for gimp
main folders are deleted (even if where in the old preference )--

then there are 2 kind of USB drive, that withouth a proper ID, ( they
may be identified by the PC with different letter ) and that are
usable as explained

Then there are usb Drive with a ID (they are identified always with
the same letter) on those last there is not really any problem to add
a gimp as portatable app and then add all sort of plugin and script,

In this last case there is no  even problem to add new paths for extra
folder to organize better  extra script , plugin brush etc...

--- In gimpwin-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Pierre Barthe"

http://gimp-vs.sourceforge.net/Don_t_mix_microsoft_runtimes_an_introduction.html

http://gimp-vs.sourceforge.net/Firefox3_Seamonkey_2.0_Beta2_VC++2008.html

> Now , this was quite a long post ,and we are all nearing
> end of year festivities , so let's enjoy these and
> prepare to enter the 2008 year with our families and friends!
>
> May you all be amazing creators using Gimp .. and GIMPVS!
>
> http://gimp-vs.sf.net
> Pierre RF Barthe

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings: