Re: System requirements for GIMP...

---  "greg_novella" <greg_novella@...> wrote:

> OK, are there editors like GIMP out there, that doesn't need much RAM
> to work out, cuz I really would like to have a program like Adobe
> Photoshop, but Photoshop's way to expensive for me...

For some things XNView is good (and free). It's mainly for viewing and converting image file types, but does basic editing too.  The quality of more subtle adjustments isn't great, though.  Picasa is free too and does basic editing.

As a point of comparison, my old version of Coral Photo-Paint uses 22 MB of ram for a 3kx2k photo, but Gimp uses 63 MB (before you start doing anything).

--- "Len Philpot" <len@...> wrote:
> Be sure to carefully read section 3. ("How to set your Tile Cache")
> of Chapter 10 in the GIMP help. Setting the tile cache too low can
> drastically slow down things, even if you have plenty of RAM.

- That's a good reminder for everyone.  "It would be nice" if Gimp could manage reasonable settings on its own.

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: