Re: Re: System requirements for GIMP...

On 26 Nov 2007 at 16:41, Vodor wrote:

> I have 1 Gb and Gimp strains me pretty hard also.
>
> rshaw8k <rshaw8k@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:          --- "greg_novella"
> <greg_novella@...> wrote: > 128RAM
>
> 128 MB seems too small. I have 384MB and gimp presses it when editing
> camera images of 3000x2000. Other editors I use don't suffer as much.

Be sure to carefully read section 3. ("How to set your Tile Cache")
of Chapter 10 in the GIMP help. Setting the tile cache too low can
drastically slow down things, even if you have plenty of RAM. You can
efectively force it to swap to disk too soon if it's set too low.

I have 1 GB on my old 2.6 GHz Celeron system, but I can edit the 8
mpx images from my Digital Rebel XT pretty well, even with several
layers. I've not paid attention to the in-memory size, but on disk my
XCF files routinely get around or over 100 MB each. Things are a
little slow, eg., when toggling layer visibility or running noise
reduction, but other than that they're tolerable. Faster is always
better, but I suspect Photoshop would be little faster on the same
hardware. Maybe, maybe not.

I have my tile cache set to 512 MB, and may end up going higher.

--
Len Philpot - l e n @ p h i l p o t . o r g  (no spaces)
><>  http://philpot.org/ - http://www.pbase.com/lphilpot
     Read my story: http://www.mostimportantthing.org