How do I correct/improve color on layer?

Hi,
This message didn't seem to go through the first time, so I'm sending it
again. Sorry if there is a duplicate message.
  I'm working on this picture:
http://www.winterssewing.com/trade/ThompsonPic.jpg
<http://www.winterssewing.com/trade/ThompsonPic.jpg>

This image has two layers, which are two pictures that are being
combined. The background, with the woman the and children, was taken in
the bright sunlight. The second layer, a picture that was taken on a
rainy over cast day, is all washed out and dull by comparison to the
background. I probably also had the camera set wrong. Is there any way I
can brighten/correct the color, and add some color details, in the man
to make it more closely match the background picture? I don't know the
Gimp color tools well enough to know which to use to help this picture.
Any suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Best Wishes,
Stephen
www.winterssewing.com <www.winterssewing.com>

Yahoo! Groups Links