Re: Fwd: Gimp Registry Future

On Wed, Apr 9, 2014 at 3:57 PM, Ingo Lütkebohle wrote:
> Alexander,
>
> the Registry currently has support for uploading binary plugins, so those
> could be downloaded over the interface as well.
>
> How the binary plugins arrive in the registry is a different issue. I don't
> have much to offer on that front, because I can't compile for Windows and
> Mac OS X. However, I could say that if we create an API-interface,
> downloading and compiling a lot of plugins could probably be automated.

It's a wee bit more complicated. Think of e.g. security concerns.
Sure, you can sit down and analyze the code of every submitted plugin,
but this solution is not scalable, and a scalable solution (as in
"automated check for exploits") is likely to be expensive.

Which brings us back to the same old question about money and human resources.

Alexandre