Re: Gimp on Steam

Accidentally replied directly... here goes again.  This mailing list should
really change the default reply-to on outgoing mailings.

On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 2:26 PM, Gez <listas@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> What about the source code? Does the Steam platform provide a way to
> distribute the sources of GIMP?

Not that I'm aware of.  If so, then I've not seen any software (gaming or
otherwise) take advantage of it.

Does a link to the sources in the
> description (pointing to gimp.org downloads section) suffice to comply
> the GPL requirements?

I would say it does so long as binaries were built from said source code.
Since it is being distributed, any modifications made for said distribution
would need to be released (if there happened to be any).

Also, for those interested here's a link to Krita attempting Greenlight on
Steam.

http://krita.org/item/213-krita-on-steam

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=225403385

Also, I think GIMP project actually selling GIMP on Steam would be
beneficial.  It seems Krita will be doing that and it will be interesting
to see how it turns out.  I think it has the potential to turn into a nice
avenue of funding for the project (perhaps to also provide revenue large
enough for full time development).  Alas, I get ahead of myself and let's
just see what happens.

SAM