Re: Documentation on color spaces

On 10/9/13, Øyvind Kolås <pippin@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Combined with your color knowledge you are be much more well suited to
> clarify what the babl format strings we keep using in GIMP mean, as well as
> how it fits into our overall scheme of things in current and future GIMP.
> What you do not understand; we might not quite understand ourselves yet
> either.
>
> The babl README/website, our lowest level of developer documentation
> relevant to this hasn't seen much improvement during the last half decade
> or so. This is generated from some static html in the docs directory of the
> source code in git. One could almost start with a link to your current
> write-up. I see no problem in the content our alternate versions of the
> content being used different places.
>
> Øyvind

Hi Pippin,

The existing babl documentation is mostly a list of formats and bit
depths available for different color spaces, yes? If there is a way I
can contribute to making the babl documentation more helpful for
people who write code that uses babl, perhaps by adding to the babl
documentation? I'll give it a try. But I don't have a grasp of what
might be unclear to whom, so an example or two would help. Is part of
what you mean perhaps issues like choosing the wrong format for ICC
profile conversions or for opening tiffs?

Elle