Re: about that student work...

On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 2:15 PM, peter sikking <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> so you can guess my new motto: ‘from the first week we start
> building the real thing.’
>
> Developers work in iterations. When you start you have a vague idea of
what its going to be, a goal, but you never know how it will make sense to
reach that goal in the end. So you iterate, without polish and beauty you
make a draft, test, make sure the framework is solid, etc and then go over
it again. At some point you run into a fundamental issue and need to
discard a lot of the underpinnings and the code above up to and including
UI concepts. It also means that you do not wish to spend time polishing
things that might get discarded - the work goes from rough to good - from
general to specific and in an ideal world, so would UI and interaction
design. It would start off as rough guidelines and complete in a finished
product... Sofar, we have tried to make it work in reverse - that the
UI/interatcion is fitted on top of a ready bit of code like a mask. And in
my personal experience... That does not work. It creates frustration for
both sides, because we cant get the mask to fit and you feel that we
disrespect your work... And that is truly unfortunate, because we really
really need your insights and input and I personally believe it's of most
use when it is given in form of concepts, rules, insights and diagrams
rather than ready made bitmap expectations of how it would have to look...

--
--Alexia