Re: Gimp 2.8.0 - Saving in .jpg or .png hmmmmm

Alexia Death <alexiadeath <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Hi!
>
> My 2c on the issue -  This change is GOOD not only for the target
> audience but to the novice too!

Those are good reasons to do something, but I believe the problem is with the
selected solution and not with the idea of attempting to solve the problem.
Photoshop Has a similar "protect user from destructive saving" system,
annoying in its own way, which only lets you save to the original as long
as no new layers have been added. Once you add layers, choosing "Save" opens
a dialog letting you asve as PSD and you have to manually select JPG/PNG in
order to save. There is also a warning inside the dialog that data will be lost.

I can see that certain usage patterns will be easier using the new system but
perhaps allowances could be made in some cases. For example, if the image is kept
as a single layer, it should allow saving to all full-color, non-lossy formats.
If an image is saved to a lossy format, it could be decided that the first time
you attempt to do this, an alert will explain to you that repeated saving to JPG
corrupts the image. A checkbox in the dialog will enable you to prevent it
from showing again.