Re: gimp users matter

 which buttons exactly did you press in GIMP so that you no longer
saw it?
In other words tell us exactly what you're doing, in both versions of
gimp

ok

First In gimp 2.6:
open or create new file. Name it.

    I now have (e.g.) village.xcf

Work on it for weeks, saving every few minutes with

  file > save

I now have village.xcf with all layers preserved

I finish the picture, and do two steps:

  file > save, and then

  file > SaveAs > village.png

I now have two copies of my creation, one with layers, and one flattened.

The village.png is now the one I see on my screen; title bar confirms

I then do

  Image > scale image > change X & Y resolution to 72 and pixel to some
small size

 and click Scale.

I now have one large village.xcf with all properties preserved,and one
small flattened village.png for mailing or uploading.

All is well. ( For those who keep saying you were never able to do this, I
posted a screen shot

at   http://helenofmarlowe.wordpress.com/2013/09/10/usinggimp/

showing that yes, in 2.6, you could see and work on the "saved as" image.
click screenshot image to enlarge)

 Now, in gimp 2.8

open or create new file. Name it.

    I now have (e.g.) village.xcf
Work on it for weeks, saving every few minutes with
    file > save

I now have village.xcf with all layers preserved
I finish the picture, and do two steps:

   file > save, and then

   file > export

I now have a flattened image named village.png

So I need to scale it, make it small enough to email or upload

But unlike in 2.6, I can’t simply proceed to do that. I have to re-open
village.png

( Can't work on an image that's now showing on the monitor)

So I go to

   File > Open Recent > and click village.png

But of course when it opens it's no longer png
It opens as [village](imported)

Now I can of course scale this one down, but I can't save it as png

so I have to export it again after I scale it.

But then I have to rename it because I already have a village.png.

Is this the intended work flow for creating a small, flattened png copy of
a large multi-layerd xcf?

It seems to be creating difficulties for a number of users. I don't think
we'd have had this mountain of complaints over something as trivial as an
unwanted save warning.

--
Helen Etters
using Linux, suse12.3