Re: layers, new problem with old methods

In GIMP every time you paste something into the image it becomes a "floating layer" by default.  In order to switch to another layer you need to:

1 - Anchor the selection down (it becomes part of whatever layer was selected before you used the Paste command).  (Layer > Anchor Selection or something)
2 - Convert it into a new layer.  (Layer > New Layer / To New Layer)

As GIMP concepts go, floating selections have always existed in GIMP and they really are something that needs to be killed off with fire because of how big a stumbling block they are to new users.

Now, if you know in advance you are going to be making a new layer out of what you're pasting, you can save yourself time and headaches by selecting "Paste As > New Layer" from the Edit menu, instead of the normal Paste.

-- Stratadrake
strata_ranger@xxxxxxxxxxx