Extreme newby needs some help please!

Congratulations, you're beginning to get to know your way around Gimp. You've come a long way already!

Working on a layer - You said you selected the layer by turning the layer box to a highlighted color. Take another, closer look at the layers dialog. When you click on the little image of the layer, yes, the whole line will be highlighted, but a narrow WHITE border will appear around the thumbnail. Click on another layer in the same image to see what I mean. Black border... Not selected. White border... selected. When you start working with layer masks this will be vitally important to remember.

Even more subtle is the actual layer name. If the name is written with a bold font, it has NO alpha-channel, and therefore no transparency information. If it is in normal font, the alpha channel is present. Right-click on the layer and add and remove the alpha channel to see how that works.

While we're on the layers, there's an 'eye' button there too. Click it on and off to see the layer. If you apply a tool to a layer below all the visible ones, you won't be able to see your changes (depending on your blending modes, but that's for another discussion).

--
SavvySaffer (via gimpusers.com)