Re: Does the new version come with a save for web option?

On 07/07/2012 05:11 PM, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 8, 2012 at 1:03 AM, Bob Smits wrote:
>> Does the new version of GIMP come with a save for or export for web feature?
>
> No, it's still a 3rd party plug-in.

I would take a close look at what an "export for web" function
actually does, and start doing those things by hand.  Nothing but
human judgment can determine how much an image can be compressed and
retain adequate resolution for the purpose at hand.  Or how to
adjust contrast and saturation, and/or when and how to apply a
little unsharp mask or (almost always better) nonlinear edge
enhancement, to make the thing look right.

Here's something I started doing a while ago:  When processing
images for use on a website, set the canvas and canvas padding
colors in the GIMP to the background color of the pages where the
images will appear.  (Edit > Preferences > Image Windows >
Appearance, and use the color value from the site's style sheet.)

Then, the whole time you are working on the images, you will see
them "in context" against the background they will live on.  This
makes any problems with hue or brightness relative to the background
that "frames" the images visible at once and very easy to fix.  It
also improves visualization when working with images that will have
"pseudo-transparency" against the page background, i.e. round
corners, non-rectangular buttons, etc.

:o)

Steve