Re: threshold function parameters that vary by position? (going to B&W from a book page photo)

Thanks for the replies.  I've uploaded the original image, along with
three modified images that are satisfactory at various distances along
my imaginary gradient.

original: http://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-zw3ICTEiurs/T3fwShHiK8I/AAAAAAAAAKU/fTTWnYCJyZA/s575/original.jpg

contrast applied with increasing upper levels parameter and minimal
gamma (no gray)::
http://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-Vc0C2KcpOAw/T3fwSLBrexI/AAAAAAAAAK4/9AEbK7qyBHc/s771/1.JPG
http://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-6x8X75cw4JI/T3fwSmRcODI/AAAAAAAAAKY/LfRwru-LQQg/s771/2.JPG
http://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-48qQsSkULZU/T3fwSJMN5pI/AAAAAAAAAKI/r5AdxIcFvb0/s771/3.jpg

You can see from the trend that there does exist a set of parameters
for the threshold function that gives acceptable contrast for every
given point, and that this one parameter (the upper level) increases
monotonically as it moves along the "vector field".

Regarding the suggestions: I think I've played with levels enough
without results.  On the other hand, I don't know about the layer mask
approach.  From my limited abilities, I can only see that layer masks
modulate the opacity of the resulting image after having applied some
filter to a duplicate layer, whereas I want to modulate the input
parameters of a "filter" (threshold) to the original layer.

Sorry if I'm making this more complicated than necessary, and thanks
for reading.

-Nick