merge-anim errors

Hello,

I have a five-frame animation to which I would like to add a background and I don't have enough GIMP knowledge to do it myself, so I've been trying to use the merge-anim script (http://www.gamers.org/~quinet/gimp/merge/).  When I use it under Debian Linux, with GIMP 2.6.10 (I have also tried it with GIMP 2.6.11 under Windows 7) , however, it gives two error messages.

The first is "Plug-In 'Merge layer with others' left image undo in inconsistent state, closing open undo groups."

The second is "Error while executing script-fu-merge-anim:  Error: not enough arguments."

The merge never does occur.

The script doesn't have any real instructions and I haven't seen any anywhere else (just a number of example results that don't show the steps take), so my first attempt was with all the default values that came up and then other attempts were with changes to various options.  None of them made any difference.  The error messages were always the same and the script-fu console did not show any messages.

Do any of you know if this script, as old as it is, even still works with GIMP 2.6.10, or is it just a completely dead project that would only work with older versions of GIMP?

If it SHOULD work with GIMP 2.6.10 for Linux or GIMP 2.6.11 for Windows, please let me know what I should do to fix these errors and get it to work properly.

If there's no hope for the script, how DO I make a "background" layer the background for each frame of an existing animation.  Also, if it makes any difference, the background I'm trying to use is a gradient created by GIMP.

Thank you!

--
Tsume (via gimpusers.com)