minute displacements in clone brush

Hello, if this is the wrong place for the sort of question I have, please

advise where would be better.  I am not a Gimp guru, not as yet anyway.  I

am using Gimp 2.6.11 on Windows OS.  When I use the clone brush to copy a

part of an image to a nearby spot on the same image, I often use the circle

brush in Normal mode. There are many instances where I do not manage to

place the circle down exactly in the right spot when I am ready to make the

change, and I then have to reposition it by a minute amount.  It is sometime

difficult to move it by just a fraction by using the mouse pad. It would be

swell if I could use the arrow keys for the close in work to move it just

barely, but the arrow keys do not move the circle at all.  Is there some

combination of keys I can use to make the arrows work like that, or is there

an alternative to my approach?  thank you.