Re: dotted areas, how to erase (or change)

On 02/29/2012 05:35 AM, mamboze wrote:
> thanks to all for your help, it's very much appreciated.
>
> @Steve,
>
> I trying following your instructions but I'm stuck at this step
>
>> * Click on the layer mask to select it, then drag & drop to the main
>> image window to fill the mask with gray.
> When I drag and drop, this makes a new layer but no gray. Is this right?
>
> I would very much like to work thru this. It looks like a good technique to know.

Hey manboze,

My bad.  I should have said, "Click on the layer mask thumbnail in
the Layers dialog to select it, THEN drag and drop from the
Foreground/Background tool (a.k.a. main color tool) to the main
image window."

The object is to turn the mask gray.  That will make the layer you
are working on semi-transparent.  Adding white to the mask will make
those parts of  the layer fully opaque, adding black to the mask
will make those areas fully transparent.

This seems like a good time to plug Akkana Peck's book, "Beginning
GIMP: From Novice to Professional" http://gimpbook.com/  It's one of
the best software user textbooks I have ever seen and surprisingly
inexpensive.

:o)

Steve