Re: Web development question?

On 12-02-16 06:20 PM, Steve Kinney wrote:
Usage is down to something around 5% on most sites I have seen
recent statistics for.  Considering the security aspect, it's really
not doing anyone a favor to support IE6 any more...  But the moment
I stop writing alternate style sheets for it,

If you were a supporter of the Any Browser Campaign (http://www.anybrowser.org/campaign/) you shouldn't have to write alternate style sheets. When I did a redesign of my website several years ago I tested my pages using Netscape 7.2 and 8, FireFox 1.5 and 2.0, Opera 9, Blazer 4.0 (the browser on my PDA), and even Internet Explorer 5.5 and 6. The different browsers showed some errors in the layout. I was able to fix all the issues after some adjustments to the style sheets. The pages then looked the same (except due to minor variation in fonts available to the web browser) without any checks anywhere that looked for a specific browser.

If you are using some fancy features on a web page it may not be as easy to have the same level of compatability across multiple browsers on multiple operating systems without some conditional code but the amount of browser specific checks should be kept to a minimum.

--
Cheers!

Kevin.