Re: Photoshop vs Gimp for mobile dev?

In message <CAL8n2zN+=44uKMko4QbAww10XR2SVg3v1bFtoL=Lu4Qud4=5CA@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
, Frank Gore <gore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>On Sat, Dec 31, 2011 at 4:41 PM, Ronald F. Guilmette
><rfg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Anyway, I just now went and resarched it and found that the Lumix cameras
>> produce their raw images into something called .RW2 files.
>
>Might be worth checking if it can also generate .DNG files. All of my
>Pentax cameras from the last 3 years (K-7, K-x, K-5) have the option
>of creating either Pentax-specific RAW files (.PEF) or .DNG RAW files.
>The .DNGs are pretty standardized and can be processed by most RAW
>processing software regardless of camera-specific support. The only
>issues you'll come across is that sometimes the extra pixels on some
>edges of the frame won't be automatically cropped out if your specific
>camera model isn't supported.

Thank you!

I am researching this now.  So far it doesn't look good, which is to say
that I don't think that the Lumix cameras can produce .DNG files on their
own.

But I also learned that there is a free "DNG Converter" utility available
on the adobe.com site, an I just downloaded a copy of it, so I'll have it
later on, just in case.

The bad news?  Of course, it is only available for Windoze and Mac. :-(
Oh well.  Better than nothing if I can't get Gimp+DCRaw+UFRaw to work for
any reason.