Re: photoshop brush flow corresponding setting?

On 12/16/2011 01:12 PM, peter kostov wrote:
> Hi,
> I am reading some drawing tutorials for Photoshop and they talk
> about a setting of the brush called "flow". Is there a
> corresponding setting in GIMP and where it is?
>
> Edit: After some additional searching I found that the option is
> called "incremental", but I also found that it doesn't work as
> described in the docs - it is not limited to the opacity set for
> the tool.

Hey,

I never heard of that one before, but it is described in some
detail, with sample images, here: http://tinyurl.com/cdcb8jt

I don't think there is an equivalent GIMP brush setting, but I do
think that the intended effect can be obtained by adjusting the
diameter and "hardness" of a brush. For this it is handy to have a
user-created brush (or several of them) in your Brushes tab, and the
Brush Editor tab turned on, in your dialogs dock.

Here's the brush editor dialog, showing a "fuzzy" hardness setting
that should give about the same results in practical use as a brush
tweaked with the "flow" setting:
http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/7206/brusheditor.jpg

Also this shows, IMO, the real "most basic arrangement of GIMP
windows that can be used effectively”. Tablet users will want a
couple more buttons turned on, and I have several Colors tool
buttons enabled because I use the tools in question a lot in photo
rework.

:o)

Steve