Help! - snow animation

>On Sun, Nov 27, 2011 at 1:36 PM, Jude <forums@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Can anyone please point me to a step-by-step tutorial to create falling snow?(animation).
>> I'm a complete novice, but can create basic animations and use layers to some degree.

>Here is a basic sequence that I would try:
>1. start with a blank canvas and add lots of noise (black and white)
>2. Blow up the resolution, so it looks very grainy
>3. Add linear motion blur
>4. invert the colors and then change black to an alpha channel
>5. use translations of this to create an animation.

>If this works, please post a tutorial somewhere!

>> I'm using GIMP 2.6. I want to create falling snow on a small picture I've already created.
>> I've spent hours scouring the net today, checking Youtube, but I can't find a clear and concise tutorial.
>> Many thanks for any help.
>> Jude
>>
>> --
>> Jude (via gimpusers.com)

Thanks David!

Having asked this question I eventually found a great tutorial by 'fencepost' on gimpdome, using GIMP-GAP. It worked, but the 'snowfall' was a bit fine for my pic. I wanted big fat flakes rather than a blizzard! I'm working on that. Thanks for your help. The tutorial I used included a lot of what you suggested! It's here: http://www.gimpdome.com/animation-tutorials/animated-snowfall-in-gimp-gap/
Jude

--
Jude (via gimpusers.com)