Re: Cannot Drag/Drop jpgs

On 02/28/2011 08:38 AM, joedaddy wrote:
> Hello all. I'm new to using GIMP. I was able to drag/drop 1 photo into the canvas but unable to drag anymore into same canvas. I have several layers with 1 photo, border effects, and type. but, cannot drag any additional jpg photos into project. Is there something that I am missing here?

Yes.  If it's what I'm thinking of, it happens to all of us when
learning GIMP.  The image is of a certain size.  If you created the
image by dragging a picture onto GIMP, then it's the size of that
picture.  If you drag something to a place outside of that image size it
won't show up.  (Same thing happens with any layer, if you drag
something outside the layer boundary if won't be visible.)  The fix is
to make the image big enough for all the things you want to show.  You
can do that from the image menu under canvas size.  Then you'll be able
to drag the layer created when you dragged the second pic into the new
area.  (I'm assuming it did work when you dragged the picture, but the
new image is behind the old image and you can't see it.)  If it's behind
the first one, you'll not see it, but if you select its layer, click on
the move tool and click and drag on the image you'll drag it out from
under.  Alternatively, you can raise it's layer in the layer dialog so
you can see what you're doing.  You do that by clicking on the layer
label (the label will be the same as the name of the image you dragged
onto GIMP), and then clicking the up arrow at the bottom of the layer
dialog.

If I'm wrong, and that isn't the problem you were having, perhaps more
explanation would help?

Patrick

p.s. If you subscribe to the list instead of using the forum it will be
happier for you.  Just click on the link at the bottom of this message
and follow the instructions.  Then the messages come to you in your
email and you don't have to go to the forum to read them.  You can send
messages to the list by emailing to gimp-user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx