Re: Color Selection with color to alpha

On 02/17/2011 11:24 PM, Suntot wrote
>> On 02/17/2011 03:00 AM, Suntot wrote:
>>> Well, I am new at this. Not even sure if what I am attempting is possible. I am trying to change a specific color in an image. If I use 'color selection' the edges don't change color. So I am trying to use color to alpha... But, when I select by color, it seems to select all similar color in the area, thus when I add a new layer it does the change the color I wanted to change, but it also changes the rest of the image with a similar color tone. What can I do to precisely select a specific color or portion of an image with color to alpha?
>> Color-to-alpha only applies to the selection, so you can restrict its
>> effects by doing a selection first. For instance to remove a background,
>> use the wand to get a rough selection of the background, grow the
>> selection by  a couple of pixels so that it includes the edges of the
>> foreground, and perform color-to-alpha.
> I tried doing a selection but since both colors are similar it selects all. Changed selection thresholds and it still doesn't work. Here is what I am trying to change: http://www.weddingclipart.com/wca/edittemplate.do?template=218069
>
> I am trying to change the colors of the scrolls on the wedding invitation. The dark blue into a red, the lighter into a black. Yet I can't seem to get it to work flawlessly. Please help. thanks

Some more thoughts on this... in my humble opinion, you cannot achieve a
good-looking result if you change the anti-aliasing, and unfortunately
all methods suggested so far alter it to some extent.

1) both parts of the clip art use the same hue, so they cannot be
distinguished, in particular:

2) the anti-aliasing of the dark part on the white background uses
colors found in the light one, and colors also used for the
anti-aliasing of the light one

3) the anti-aliasing where light and dark intersect creates some
intermediate colors very difficult to sort out

So a perfect cut will not be achieved without a lot of manual intervention.

However, the color of the whole clipart can be changed without adding
aliasing by painting it over with a brush in "color" or "hue" mode
(these modes won't affect the background) so you can change it to red
tones fairly easily. Making the light one black will not work, because
this will also affect the anti-aliasing pixels.Your best bet is to
darken the dark one using the levels or curves tools, but you can't push
it very far because this creates a light border around it (those $£à#
pixels that are in the tone ranges of the light part...) (in other words
you'll have to darken both parts if you want a very dark dark).

Conceal the trickery by flipping the clipart vertically :-)

Unless someone has a better solution?

--
Bertrand