LZW Compression - Image rendition advice

According to all the literature, when saving a .tif file, LZW Compression is lossless. My project involves many large scans of individual items. I can scan several at once and then I use Gimp to cut and paste the individual items to their own file (Copy-paste-save as). They are themselves very large files, some as much as 800mb. I’d like to use LZW as it appears to compress these files to where they are about 60% of the non-lzw file size. My question is whether or not anyone knows of any image disadvantages, is there anything about LZW that would allow a loss of any visual fidelity? These scans are important because they are able to be viewed down to the pixel level and such close examination of the scanned objects is part of an ongoing research project, so any loss of what can be seen, or anything which would cause false artifacts in the image are to be avoided. Anyone have any thoughts in this regard?