Problem with GIMP draw straight line functionality

Hi,

I'm having difficulty with the Draw Straight Line functionality with
GIMP 2.6.11 (with Windows 7), and I haven't found anything in BugZilla
that corresponds to this.  All I need to be able to do is draw a simple
straight line.  I've followed the directions I've come across online -
while holding SHIFT the entire time, click a spot to create the line's
start point, move the mouse to make my straight line, click again to
create a second point now connected to the first by a line.  All it does
is move my line's starting point, as opposed to creating a second point
now connected by a line.  I've tried it at different scales and with
different brush types, and even trying it with the Pencil and Brush
tools.  Nothing seems to work.  What am I forgetting to do?

Thanks!