Square Pic in a Rectangular Hole

Dear Friends,

I am new to GIMP and to this list, so please forgive me if I'm posting a question that has been asked a million times.  I can't seem to find a searchable archive for the list (if there is one, feel free to point me toward it for future questions).

I have some square photos that I cropped with another program awhile ago.  I would like to print a test image based on them at a super-cheap photo finishing store (Costco, Wal-Mart, etc.).  In essence, I'm trying to figure out a way to print a square picture on a rectangular page without cropping anything.

In short, how can I use GIMP to add blank space to a given photo so that it keeps the original data within the confines of a 4x6 (for example) aspect ratio?

Thank you in advance for your time and attention to my problem.

--
Your servant in Christ,
Julian Bryson

See, hear, print, and purchase my music at http://members.sibeliusmusic.com/jbryson (small plugin required)