Re: how to select & copy a circular part of photo

On 02/10/2010 03:33 PM, Deniz Dogan wrote:
> 2010/2/10 Donna B. <forums@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> I need help with a newbie question (ver 2.6). I need to select a circular part
>> of a photo - the goal is to create a web page with circular photos arranged in
>> a circle. The only way I've found is to draw a circular selection, display the
>> QuickMask to show the outline of the circle and use the bezier tool to click
>> around the circle then select to Path and copy that to a new file. There must
>> be a better way; can anyone describe it?
>>

> I may very well have misunderstood your question, but can't you just
> make a circular selection, copy the selection and then paste into a
> new image?

Deniz ... What you understood is what I understood.

But allow me to add:

1) Use the ellipse selection tool (immediately to the right of the usual
rectangular selection tool in my Gimp).

2) For that tool, in the preferences (which on my Gimp is right below
the tools), turn on Fixed for Aspect Ratio.  That will get you a circle
instead of a random ellipse.  You can also specify exact size, etc., etc.

3) Set the background color selector to White (or whatever you want).
   Do the selection.
   Invert the selection.   [Selection..., Invert]
   Hit Delete.

Jay