Re: Gimp does not recognize that Python is installed

Don,

Thanks for your reply and good to hear that you succeeded.
I would not have expected that a Registry Cleaner would do the job,
but nonetheless congratulations.

Because I was curious about what registry entry the installer looks
for I downloaded some NSIS-source files of the Windows-installer for
GIMP.
At SourceForge I found a file with a name of
gimp+gtk-install-script-20061018.zip. 2006 sounds pretty old to me,
but it was the most recent I could find.

So I downloaded it and opened it and in gimp+gtk.iss I found a
function called EnablePython. This function looks in the Windows
registry for the key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Python\PythonCore\2.4\InstallPath. In my
Windows registry I could only find a 2.5 and a 2.6 for Python, but
newer GIMP installers might be looking for a newer Python version in
the registry.
Then it looks in the directory that is listed in the InstallPath for a
sub-directory called Lib\site-packages\gtk-2.0 to check whether PyGTK
is installed.
When this is found, one can install GIMP-Python.

Perhaps one could also use a registry monitor to see what exact
Registry key a more recent GIMP version is checking.
Or perhaps also newer installer-sources can be found online.

--
Greetings,

Martijn
http://gimp.startpagina.nl