Re: HOWTO: stroke a path with the current tool?

	     [Repost after a list resurrection]

On 2009-09-15, saulgoode@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <saulgoode@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> a Script-fu which does this for Fuzzy selections; the command is added
> to the context menu raised by right-clicking on a path in the Paths
> Dialog. The script can be retrieved from
> http://flashingtwelve.brickfilms.com/GIMP/Scripts/Temp/sg-fuzzy-select-along-path.scm

I'm confused on why gimp-vectors-set-visible() is used.  Any hint?

And I can't guess reasons why you first do gimp-selection-none(), then
combine the orig-sel back?

And why do you need to set the drawable (which was initially active)
"active again" at end of operation?

> Doing similarly for the Select By Color tool is possible, but would
> require a more complicated script owing to the fact that
> 'gimp-drawable-get-pixel' can not directly fetch from the projection,
> and that working with channels or masks would require some massaging
> of the colors retrieved with 'gimp-drawable-get-pixel' so that it can
> be used by 'gimp-by-color-select'.

Is there no way to get-pixel() meaning "visible pixel"?  I understand
that this might be problematic when started from context menu of
"Paths" (may there be multiple "views" of an image with different
visiblity flags of masks/layers?), but if started from menu of Image
window", GIMP knows which "view" (is it what you call "projection"?  I
found no definition in the docs) the user means...

> The best approach to this would
> likely be to create a new image from the drawable or projection, copy
> the path to the new image, perform the walking selection along the
> path, and then move the resulting selection back to the original image.

I would very much prefer to avoid this.  The image is about 0.1GPix
already with a few layers, and the hardware is close to 10years old...

And: if I want to operate "on one layer only", would cadr of the
result of gimp-drawable-get-pixel() suitable as argument to
gimp-by-color-select()?

Thanks,
Ilya