From: gimp-user-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:gimp-user-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Claus Cyrny
Sent: Tuesday, 3 March 2009 6:04 AM
To: json
Cc: gimp-user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re:  Fading to transparency tutorial?

json wrote:
> Hi there everyone,
>
> Quite a while ago, I used a tutorial on GUG for fading an image to
> transparency, which I wanted to use as the top of a web page background.
For
> clarification, you can look here at the image:
>
> http://personal.schwim.net/images/share/snowflake_background.jpg
>
> I'm trying to do the same thing now, but with grass to green.  The problem
> I'm having is that I can't remember how I did it and GUG went the way of
the
> spam farm :)
>
> I remember it was two layers, one with transforming black to transparent
at
> the midline, using gaussian(I think) blur to soften the line of
transormation
> and then overlaying, but I can't remember the details enough to reproduce
it.

> Does someone know of an alternate location for the tutorial that I need or
> maybe more detailed instructions leading to the same end?

Those are basically two layers: On the bottom layer there's the blue (in
your case,
green) gradient, the snowflakes are on a transparent second layer. To
achieve the
transitional effect, apply a black-to-white gradient as a layer mask to
the snowflakes
layer ('Layers > Add Layer Mask', with the default setting; then apply
the black-to-white
gradient to this layer, and as a third step, 'Apply Layer Mask'.
Finally, merge the two
layers with 'Flatten Image' or CTRL+M (Merge Visible Layers). That's
basically it.

HTH,

Claus

--
.:: Claus Cyrny - Webdesign |  Grafik | Fotografie ::.

:: Website: http://home.arcor.de/ccyrny/ ::.
:: Photo.net: http://photo.net/photodb/slideshow?folder_id=714471 ::.
:: Saatchi Online:
http://www.saatchi-gallery.co.uk/yourgallery/artist_profile//105735.html ::.