Re: bizarre behavior of tracing tools with GIMP 2.3

On 7/14/07, Olivier Lecarme <ol@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> David Gowers <00ai99@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I don't know. But this is a bug in your X server; it does not handle
> > XOR drawing correctly. You may be able to configure X to work around
> > the bug. You should probably ask this question on the appropriate list
> > for XFree86 or X.org, whichever you are using, and provide the
> > contents of the Device section for your video card (found in
> > /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 or /etc/X11/Xorg.conf depending on whether you
> > use XF86 or Xorg)
>
> Maybe a bug in the X server, but then, why does it occur only in Gimp
> version 2.3, not 2.2, and in no other graphic tool ? Moreover, I have
The drawing color changed (and I think the way GDK implements the
draw, which matters because GIMP increased the version of GTK they
require (GTK includes GDK)) between 2.2 and 2.3
> the same version of Xorg on both computers, and the problem occurs on
> only one.
The version of Xorg is irrelevant -- that comparison only makes sense
if you have the same *video card* in both systems. This bug has been
reported several times, and it's directly related to X's driver for
your video card.

> Still moreover, is not XOR drawing used for moving the pointer
> image anywhere on the screen?
No (XOR drawing doesn't work very well in conjunction with things like
alpha blending :)

> Thus I'm asking what could be specific to Gimp 2.3.
^^^