Re: gimp or inkscape?

On Thu, Apr 05, 2007 at 08:13:39PM -0600, Alex Feldman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have limited experience with Gimp, almost all of it with photographs,
> and essentially none with Inkscape.  I want to make some simple maps of
> trails in the area, and mark them with mileages and a few comments.  My
> plan was to download the photographs of the area from Google Earth, put
> a layer over it, and trace out the trails.  Then I can stretch or shrink
> the image and add the decorations and commentary.
>
> My question is, which is the best tool for this?  Or is there a better
> way to do it than what I am describing?  Thanks for the help.

I think you need to work backwards from what is your intended use.
Web, paper print?

So what size are the photographs from Google earth?

What I have done is simply scanned a road map/atlas at a fairly high resolution, added layers of
routes and comments then resized to suit.

Resizing up doesn't always work real well.

Inkscape is good for making route profiles, you can stretch in both directions to give make the
route look easy or hard :-)

Owen