Re: New To Gimp

a jpeg does not have text.
it may have pixels which look like text. :-)
A jpeg also does not have layers.
Personally i would save any work in progress or current project as an xcf the gimp format.

When ready to have a copy for display or ourside of gimp then save it as xcf, then also as a jpeg, png, or whatever you need.
xcf understands layers, text-layers, and much more.

--- dale

-----