Re: Resizing a large landscape type photo to a smaller size help

> I had selected a image to resize that show is it's size a 1000 width
> by 667 height..and I need to scale it to 242 width by 118 height and
> not loose any appreciable photo quality.
>
> I enter 242 in the scale box click thr "chain" symbol then enter 118
> in the height box and save image.
>
> Problem is image then comes out looking distorted --stretched?

If you really need to have these exact dimensions but without any
stretching you would need to crop (chop off part of the image, like the
sides). In image scale leave the chain checked off, and enter in just
one of the new dimensions (depending on the picture). Once it's resized
you can use the Crop tool to make it exactly the size you need.

For example set the Width to 242, which makes the height 161, then let
it scale. Click the Crop&Resize tool (exacto knife icon) enter in 118
into the height box then using the bottom left or top right black
squares move the cropping box where you want it then click Crop (or
inside the cropping box). Of course you can fiddle with both
image scale and cropping if it's better to chop a little off all sides.

[Index of Archives]     [Video For Linux]     [Photo]     [Yosemite News]     [gtk]     [GIMP for Windows]     [KDE]     [Scanner]     [GEGL]     [Gimp's Home]     [Gimp on Windows]     [Steve's Art]