executable flag

When doing "git commit" I get the error message "Translation files should not be executable. Please remove the flag and try to push again." And then some suggestions how to repair it. My question is: Where do I find this flag and what should it be set to? (By using a hex editor).

I am writing the po files using Notepad++ set to format UTF-8 without Byte Order Mark. My next step will be to try other formats, so perhaps my question is irrelevant? But I am curious about what happening.

BTW: The program tells me that an error has occurred, but the git log tells all is ok although the push stops with the mentioned error message. As far as I can see the log is wrong. But that's another question.
Kolbjoern