Re: building documentation?

On Thu, 24 Mar 2011 13:54:08 +0200
Michael Grosberg <grosberg.michael@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I am totally out of my depth here, but here are some ramblings

> Now, some more questions:
> 1. There are two folders, both with XML files: XML and SRC. I
> understand XML is the one files are built from, and SRC is the one
> GIT uses to fetch files. But how do the two interact? do I copy files
> manually or is there some tool or script to update one or the other?
> In other words what is the work process here?

I am pretty sure this is all controlled by the Makefile. have a sqizz
if you are happy reading that stuff

> 2. UI screenshots: Do you have a preference for the theme used in the
> screenshots? The wiki says screenshots should use the "default theme"
> but is it the Gnome's or Ubuntu's default theme I should be using?
> Gnome's default is Clearlooks, right?

I am pretty sure what is meant here is that the "Default" is that set
out in the preferences under themes, .../share/gimp/2.0/themes/Default

> 3. I intend to replace the astronomy images used in the quickies with
> images more representative of something a normal user would use,
> everyday objects such as cars, animals, plants, tourist attractions
> and if I find the right subjects, people. These are good looking
> images I took myself, but I want to know if I need to do anything
> rights-wise, you know, do I need to explicitly release them under the
> GPL or CC or what have you, and if I do, how do I do it.

Too hard, Ulf or Roman may help here.

> 4. it's a long shot, but does anyone here use Notepad++ and has the
> correct HTMLtidy settings file to correctly reflow and indent docbook
> XML?

Don't know Notepad++, but there is a linux program "tidy" which does a
fairly good job once you psyche it out.

Owen