Re: help xml [was: manual license]

Marco Ciampa (Dienstag, 17. Februar 2009, 18:08):
> On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 01:49:45PM +0100, Ulf-D. Ehlert wrote:
[...]
> > Then we had to edit the CSS files, and there it should be possible
> > to suppress the HTML output of this remark depending on the "lang"
> > attribute.
> >
> > For PDF or ODF manuals we would probably have to edit the XSL
> > stylesheets to remove this remark if language is 'en'.
>
> Mmmm no this should not create work for other (the english) people.
>
> I wonder if there is a drawback to simply create an empty paragraph as
this:
> > +  <!--
> > +    NOTE TO TRANSLATORS:
> > +    translate this or leave it blank: Bla bla
> > +  -->
> > +  <remark>
> > +  </remark>

Yes, there is: an empty element won't produce a po entry - even  just
a "&nbsp;" seems not to work.

But why not add a modified version of your proposed para, e,g,

	Note that any translations of the GNU General Public License are
	not published by the Free Software Foundation, and do not legally
	state the distribution terms for software that uses the GNU GPL
	-- only the original English text of the GNU GPL does that.
	(The GIMP Documentation Team)

> or using the <para> tags, I do not know which is best here; perhaps
> <remark> but it may create an empty colored frame in the page?

The CSS stylesheets control the appearance of remarks, so it won't be
colored unless we decide so.

I've chosen <remark> since this tag would be unique while there are
many <para> tags. With

	.appendix  >  .remark {
	}

in an CSS file we could address and customize it.

> The problem is that this message should go in a different paragraph
> and it seems that there is not an easy way to create a translators
> only piece of text that works with PDF and ODF without ugly hacks
> with stylesheets or such.

I didn't try anything with PDF and ODF, but using e.g. the above text we
wouldn't need to remove anything, and editing the stylesheets is
no "ugly hack", it's just customizing.

BTW, did anyone notice this:

	"You may include a translation of this License, and all the license
	notices in the Document, and any Warranty Disclaimers, provided that
	you also include the original English version of this License and the
	original versions of those notices and disclaimers."

Bye,
Ulf