Re: Omitted languages

Kolbjørn Stuestøl (Donnerstag, 1. Januar 2009, 14:20):
> 1. In the file appendix/bibliography.po (and others) there are some
> paragraphs common to all languages, i.e. without lang tags.

There should be no <lang> tags at all.

> If I want  them in my language, do I have to add ("use the original
> text") them to my language when writing po files?

??? What do you mean? You have to translate them and add the translation
to the po file(s) (which will be created/updated e.g. with "make
po-no").

> 2. Some  paras are in other languages but not in English. These paras
> are omitted in the pot and po files. Example: <biblioentry
> lang="de;fr" id="bibliography-books-neumann"> do not show up in
> German or French (and of course neither in English).

Yes, if there was no corresponding English text, these paras were
discarded.

> Do we have to  add such entries manually?

Yes, but you have to add an English entry in src/what/ever.xml.

> This is perhaps a minor problem compared
> with others you are working on, but will it be fixed in the future?

No. That was not a bug. It's just the price we had to pay for switching
the documentation to  a gettext-based system with English as reference
language.

> (I am using Cygwin and I have at the moment found no way to make html
> from my po files.

Oops?! Problems? I can't believe that. ;-)

> Seems that I have to wait [...]

Hmm, that's the wrong attitude...
It should be possible to "make html-no" even if validating fails
("unknown ID" etc.). If "make html-no" fails it's sounds like a bug and
you should tell us what went wrong.
I'm using openSUSE Linux and I have no way to test the build system
under Cygwin, so as long as you keep your mouth shut I think everything
is fine... ;-)

BTW,
Which docbook-xsl version do you use? I'm using version 1.74.0 and
noticed some changes:

	docbook-xsl-1.74.0 NEWS:
	------------------------
	Changes since the 1.73.2 release:
	"no" locale is now "nb"
	per message from Hans F. Nordhaug, correct identifier for
	Norwegian Bokmål is "nb" (not "no") and has been for quite some
	time now...

and "common/no.xml" has been replaced with "common/nb.xml".

So in "Makfile.am" I have added code to call xsltproc with
default.language="nb" if language is "no".

Is this correct? What's the difference between "no" and "nb" (and "nn")?
Should we rename "no" to "nb"?

Bye,
Ulf