Re: Rules to make target `xml/stamp-en-valid'?

Ulf-D. Ehlert wrote:
> Kolbjørn Stuestøl (Samstag, 23. Februar 2008, 17:37):
>
>> When trying to run 'make ALL_LINGUAS="no"' (or whatever language), I
>> get the message:
>>     "make: *** No rule to make target `xml/stamp-no-valid', needed by
>> `validate'.  Stop."
>> I assume I've missed a file or something, but where and what? Where
>> do I find this rule, or more precisely: what do I have to do to get
>> the program running as nicely as before?
>> Yes, I have updated the 'gimp-help-2' directory and run the 'make' on
>> a copy of this.
>>

> If in doubt, always try to re-run 'autogen.sh'.
>
> Also, try
> 	grep valid Makefile
> to check/verify the validate target. The output should contain
> 	xml/stamp-%-valid: xml/%.xml.
> If it does, the target's prerequisite (xml/no.xml) cannot be built. Then
> try
> 	grep ^xml/ Makefile
> which should give you
> 	xml/%.xml: src/gimp.xml stylesheets/profile.xsl $(XML_FILES).

This must be one of the well known but non explainable things that
happens with computers.
Well, the corrupted copy is still corrupt. Even after copying all files
from the trunk of my well working copy of gimp-help-2, comparing the two
trunks says all the files are equal, but the error is still there when
running the make command. Of cause I tried your suggestions, but all
looks fine to me. (Though I'm not a (Python) programmer so perhaps I
overlooked something).
I have given up finding what causes the error.
It could be some hidden codes in the files (or perhaps that the copying
process generates some)  not recognized by most programs but essential
to Cygwin. As I'm unable to step through the program, the only way to
figure out what's going on seems to be doing a manual comparing in hex
code for every file in the trunk. I don't go for that time consuming job
:-\ .
The solution was to delete all files in the gimp-help-2/trunk and then
run 'svn update' to get a fresh copy of gimp-help-2. Now the Cygwin runs
happily as it should.

>> I have tried to figure out where this message is generated without
>> any luck. Using Cygwin on Windows XP if that matter.
>>

> Maybe there are some <CR> chars and your "make" can't handle them?
> 	cat -v Makefile
> will show you (trailing ^M's?).

I had done this too for all downloaded script files in the trunk. No
^M's. You told me this command half a year ago or so :-) .
Thank you for your help.
Kolbjørn