[ogfs-dev]GFS of the Linuxtag and OpenGFS

A couple of weeks ago, I visited the Linuuxtag 2004 in Karlsruhe
(Germany) and listened to a GFS presentation by the RedHat staff.
Since they claimed they had already contacted the OpenGFS
developers, is assumed they had already informed the mailing list
of what they are planning.  Looking archives this seems to have
been wishful thinking.

I don't remember all the details anymore, but here is the
information I can remember (my comments are in braces).

 * Nobody needs OpenGFS anymore and it is going to vanish.
   [Seems to be marketing blabla]

 * The RedHat developers are merging the GFS and OpenGFS projects.

 * They are working on a DLM based lock manager.

 * GFS conforms to POSIX.
   [I asked if that means that they fixed the issues that violate
   POSIX, e.g. flock() behaviour, but got no answer]

 * GFS has a working redundant lock manager (RLM) which is an
   improved version of the old single lock manager (SLM).  Locks
   are still managed on a central lock server, but any other node
   can become the lock server.  A cluster of lock manager nodes
   separate to the cluster of GFS nodes can be used.

 * GFS scales very well.  They claim one of their customers has
   a GFS cluster with more than 100 nodes.

 * Reading is as fast as with ext2.
   [Marketing lie.]

 * RedHat still supports gnbd, but they are working on iSCSI.

 * The pool driver is going to be replaced with something better.

This all sounds awfully like they are leveraging our work on
OpenGFS.  I asked a German RedHat guy to arrange for a contact
between me and the GFS developers, but never got a reply.

Ciao

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

P.S.: Please CC me, I'm currently not subscribed to the list.

 --
Dominik Vogt, dominik.vogt@xxxxxx