Re: [ogfs-dev]RE: [Opendlm-devel] ODLM/OGFS Recovery

[snip]

I did a little googling on DLM persistent locks and found this man
page.  It looks like it is for trucluster.  It describes persistent
locks and how recovery was done.  This one is similar to what
I remember (which makes since since persistent locks were implemented
for a large database software company and many vendors implemented
what they asked for :) )

http://h30097.www3.hp.com/docs/cluster_doc/cluster_16/MAN/MAN3/0024____.HTM

I am a bit surprised that openDLM's persistent locks do not provide
the same kind of functionality.  The whole point was to give an
application a chance to do a recovery before granting more locks
without having to keep the locks open.

Are there any openDLM folks who can explain how these ORPHAN can be used
in a distributed application if it cannot handle node death?  I thought
node death was one of the big reasons for clusters and DLMs...

Depending on the order of lock recovery seems to be asking for trouble.

Sorry for late responding :)

I finally get the url you mentioned from Google's cache, thanks a lot for your help :)
And I'm trying to find how they store the orphan/persistent locks, but failed to get that. Do you have any ideas about that? AFAIK, it's the major barrier for current OpenDLM to support orphan/persistent lock even on node failure cases. (For worest case, the failed node holds one orphan lock, and it also acted as both directory/master for this lock. To avoid this happening, we need keep one copy for each orphan lock on each node, is that right?)

Thanks again,
Stan

--
Opinions expressed are those of the author and do not represent Intel
Corporation