RE: [ogfs-users]list directory content performance

Just a word of caution:  the more resource groups you have, the longer
it will take to "stat" the filesystem.  The block usage statistics are
distributed among the resource groups ... The more RGs you have, the
longer it takes to read each RG to gather all of their statistics.

Comments on RGs:

I remember, when I was working on the block allocation code back in the
Fall, reaching the conclusion that RGs help nodes to work in parallel
when allocating blocks, by breaking up the filesystem into smaller
domains (almost like mini-filesystems).  When a node owns a lock on an
RG, it can allocate freely within that RG, while another node allocates
freely in another RG ...

... With 3 nodes, my guess would be that a dozen or two RGs would be
sufficient for that purpose, but there may be different opinions on that
(see the OGFS ondisk layout doc).

However, there is a limit to an RG's size (see the OGFS ondisk layout
doc), which in turn depends on your block size ... and you need many,
many RGs to comprise a 1.7TB filesystem.

How many RGs are in your filesystem?

-- Ben --

Opinions are mine, not Intel's