RE: [ogfs-dev]Map OpenDLM to G-lock: lock name

Yes, it would be a little tougher to *predict* a collision, but ...

Within the lock module, we need to check the uniqueness of the string (*after* hashing, or *after* masking all but last-4-chars), and refuse to mount if the string (as processed) is not unique (against other filesystems mounted on *this* machine, which is the total scope of our ability to determine uniqueness).  I think the hash makes it less likely that there would be a collision (even if the user continues to use the same string that he's used for memexp, which had no 4-last-char restriction), and gives the user/admin more flexibility in contents of the field.  8-char or longer hash would make a collision even less likely.  Is there any advantage to using fewer than the total 31 available chars in the lockname?

Either way, we'll need to update documentation (HOWTO(?), man pages), to describe what's going on, and issue a meaningful error message when a collision occurs, perhaps including *both* of the original, unprocessed strings, as well as the colliding hash/last-4-char results.

-- Ben --

Opinions are mine, not Intel's