Re: Introduction to GEGL Buffers

On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 3:50 PM, Nicolas Robidoux
<nrobidoux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm not making promises on the following (given that they are not part
> of the original GSoC) but they are related to Adam and Eric GSoCs, but
> it would make sense to have them have a look at the following (I may
> give more programming help with the resampler parts to free them for
> what's below):
>
>  > - Detect when a tile is set to be a solid block of the background color,
>  >   and make the tiled shared with the empty tile.
>  > - Detect uniformly colored and perhaps other types of tiles and store
>  >   them more compactly, perhaps even just compressing tile contents and
>  >   share duplicate tiles detected through hashing of their compressed data.

I forgot to add one more item to my list of potential/desired
enhancements of GeglBuffer and that is to make the extent (width and
heights) of the buffer be updated on demand when tiles are changed,
allowing automatically growing buffers that are "auto-clipped" to the
bounding box of content that differs from the configured background
color.

/Øyvind K.
                                                 -- William Gibson
http://pippin.gimp.org/                            http://ffii.org/