Re: babl portability patches, and a test failure

Hi Martin,

On Sun, Apr 05, 2009 at 05:09:50PM +0200, Martin Nordholts wrote:
> The only thing I can see missing now is taking care of invoking gnulib-tool
> --update properly in autogen.sh and provide a helpful message why this
> fails, if it fails.
>
> Is there any de facto standard way of doing this?

No, there isn't.

Worse, there's a good argument for committing gnulib files to the
repository so that churn in the upstream gnulib repository doesn't
foil testing of client projects where several developers ran
gnulib-tool from different versions of gnulib.  There's also the
issue of how to keep track of which gnulib version contributed to
released client software.

You ought to come up with a policy decision for how gnulib will
be employed in babl and GEGL before implementing the process. There
is a list of projects that already use gnulib here:

  http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=gnulib.git;a=blob_plain;f=users.txt;hb=HEAD

You could look at some of these for inspiration for how other
projects have integrated gnulib code into their repositories.
In my (biased) humble opinion, GNU M4 integrates the gnulib tree
into it's git repository in a neat and easy to manage way.

Cheers,
    Gary
--
Gary V. Vaughan (gary@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)