Re: gprof output question

On 2/20/2014 6:42 PM, MR ZenWiz wrote:
In using gprof on a large C++ app, there are a number of functions in
the output that do not have any class name or parameters associated
with them.

In a thorough search of the app source, I cannot find any functions
defined with a particular name that shows up like this in the gprof
output.

How can I track down where these functions live?

In the call trace section, they show up as "spontaneous," so I can't
even tell from where they are called.

Any guidance would be most appreciated.

Thanks.

MR
A function called from a source file not built with -pg or via a function pointer (so that the actual function isn't known at compile time) would likely produce a <spontaneous>. It's also helpful to use -static linking.

--
Tim Prince