Re: Asking help with (dwarf) exception hacking on mipsel

KertÃsz Csaba <csaba.kertesz@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Hi,
>
>>> Now, I know what is going on, but I do not know why: the
>>> __builtin_return_address() corresponds to a value in the text segment,
>>> which has fde entry, but:
>>> - __builtin_return_address() returns back the run-time address of the
>>> text segment
>>> - the fde entries contain the link-time address of the same text segment.
>>
>> I'm not sure I fully understand this. ÂAre you saying that the runtime
>> and link time addresses are different? ÂHow is the runtime address
>> determined? ÂIt is done using a linker script, or are the instructions
>> moved around dynamically at runtime?
>
> I speak strictly from run-time: when the gcc tries to find the fde for
> a text segment, the __builtin_return_address() corresponds to the
> run-time (memory) address of a text segment, but the fdes contain the
> link-time addresses of the text segments in run-time.

I'm sorry, but you didn't answer my questions.

When running on most GNU/Linux systems, the runtime address is the same
as the link time address.  The link time address is the address you can
see from readelf -S or readelf -l.

You haven't precisely said so, but you have implied that on your system
the runtime addresses are different from the link time addresses.

Do you mean the same thing that I just said: that the addresses are
runtime are not the same as the addresses reported by readelf -S or
readelf -l?

How is the runtime address determined?

Is the runtime address determined using a linker script, or are the
instructions moved around dynamically at runtime?

> Ok, so now the question is: why the fdes do not contain run-time
> addresses of the text segments in run-time?

I can't answer that question until you answer my questions.

Ian