How to limit search to outline fonts

I'd like to search the fonts on a system by family name, but prefer outline fonts later on the list over bitmap fonts earlier on the list. For example, for the spec "Courier, DejaVu Sans Mono":

1. Courier (outline)
2. DejaVu Sans Mono (outline)
3. Courier (bitmap)
4. DejaVu Sans Mono (bitmap)
5. Fallback font

Here's what I've tried:

1. I tried figuring out how to do this with a single call to FcFontMatch. It turns out the "best" match is determined by hardcoded weights. If they weren't hardcoded, I could simply increase the weight for the "outline" attribute. 2. I tried figuring out how to do this passing each family separately to FcFontMatch, then picking the first that has an outline, or falling back to the first without an outline. However, I can't figure out how to tell the difference between when FcFontMatch returns a family I asked for and when it returns a fallback font. 3. I tried using FcFontList to create a font list containing only outline fonts so I could search that first, but I can't tell the difference between when it can find a font and when it found a fallback font. 4. I tried looking at the source code to FcFontMatch, but it looks like it does a lot of peeking inside of structures that are opaque to clients. I'd have to make a lot of API calls to access the required information.

What am I missing, or is it really that hard to do this?