Re: Problems with fc-arch

Le samedi 21 novembre 2009 à 18:02 -0500, James Cloos a écrit :

> Most of these suggestions are spot on, but:
>
> N> 3. please consider moving the built-in fontconfig files from
> N>    /etc/conf.avail to /usr/share/fontconfig/conf.avail as per FHS
>
> I'm not convinced that they should move; they are end-user editable
> config files,

The files shipped with fontconfig are not user editable, if a user
starts editing one without keeping a copy of the original file he is
going to get into trouble (also letting users edit them directly asks
for no end of ugly conflicts with package managers)

Users should be encouraged to :
1. disable the config files they do not like by replacing the symlink
in /etc/fonts/conf.d/ by an empty file (just removing the symlink will
not prevent its re-creation at next package update)
2. create they own variant directly in conf.d under a separate name

If the user wants to write a different config file, but disable it by
default, he can either rename his file in /etc/fonts/conf.d/foo.conf
to /etc/fonts/conf.d/foo.conf.dud or we can keep a /etc/fonts/conf.avail
for this purpose (actual user-managed config files, not reference
upstream template data he should never touch)

> N> 4. please consider installing the fontconfig DTD in /usr/share/xml
> N>    as per FHS (and register it in system xml catalogs)
>
> If so, please do this in addition to /etc/fonts/fonts.dtd, not instead of.

Isn't that a receipe for de-sync?

--
Nicolas Mailhot